The County Administrator is responsible for the General Administration of the County Government. As the County’s Chief Administrative Officer and Chief of Staff to the Board, the Administrator is responsible for the overall management and administration of the county government, working under the direction and guidance of the Board of County Commissioners, the elected legislative body of the County government. He also provides administrative and managerial support expertise to the Board of Commissioners, oversees special projects, policy development, conducting research and troubleshooting problem areas.
In 1988, following a referendum by the voters of Butts County, the General Assembly created House Bill 1837, Act 1054 of the Assembly which was signed into law by the Governor establishing the Office of the County Manager. The Board of Commissioners later administratively changed the title to County Administrator. The duties and powers of the County Administrator are as follows:
- The County Administrator is the administrative head of the County government
- The County Administrator shall be responsible to the Board for the proper and efficient administration of all affairs of the County except for as otherwise provided by Law
- The County Administrator shall, except for as otherwise provided for by Law, appoint and remove all subordinate officers and employees of all departments of the County which the Commissioners had heretofore been empowered to appoint and discharge with the exception of the Attorney, the Auditor and the County Physician.
- To see that all laws and ordinances of the County are enforced
- To exercise control over all departments and divisions of the County which the Board has heretofore exercised or that may hereafter be created
- To prepare and submit to the Board an annual budget
- To keep the Board fully advised as to the financial condition and needs of the County
- To supervise and direct the official conduct of all appointed County officers and department heads
- To attend all meetings of the Board with the right to take part in the discussion but without having a vote
- To supervise the performance of all contracts by any persons for work done on behalf of the County
- To provide and regulate all purchases of material and supplies for Butts County within limits imposed by the Commissioners
- Is vested with the authority to countersign with the Chairman of the Board or in the absence of the Chairman, the Vice Chairman, all payroll checks of county employees
- Perform other administrative duties as shall be established by the Board.
- To make any reports to the Board that the Board may require
Although the law was created in 1988, the position was not first filled until 1991. Since the creation of the Office of County Administrator, seven individuals have held the duties of the position. These include:
- Mr. H. Thomas Williams (1991-1996)
- Mr. Paul S. Penn (1998-2000)
- Mr. Gregory P. Popham (2001-2002)
- Dr. Van G. Whaler (2004-2009)
- Dr. Alan E. White (2009-2011)
- Mr. J. Michael Brewer (2011-2015)
- Dr. Keith Moffett (2015-2017)