Position Open Until July 31, 2018
Light Equipment Operator
This position is responsible operating a variety of equipment to assist in County road and infrastructure maintenance activities.
Operates a variety of vehicles and light equipment including roll-off trucks, patch trucks, brush cutter, asphalt sealers, and chain saws.
Maintains grass and tree line along County roads and highways.
Clears, collects, and removes debris; clears rights of way.
Assists in conducting road maintenance activities including patching holes and sealing asphalt.
Assists in transporting construction material to work sites.
Places construction signs and flags traffic during maintenance activities as needed.
Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of road construction and maintenance methods and practices.
- Knowledge of related federal, state, and local laws.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety requirements.
- Knowledge of County geography.
- Skill in operating specialized light and heavy equipment.
- Skill in the operation of vehicles and related repair and maintenance equipment.
- Skill in accurately maneuvering heavy equipment.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
The Public Works Director assigns work in terms of somewhat general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with instructions and established procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include County and department policies and policies, ordinances, and regulations, and related federal, state, and local laws. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
The work consists of related maintenance duties. Inclement weather contributes to the complexity of the position.
The purpose of this position is to operate light equipment to support road and infrastructure maintenance activities. Success in this position helps ensure safe and serviceable roadways for Butts County.
- Contacts are typically with coworkers, other County employees and agencies, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to provide services; or to give or exchange information.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
Must be physically able to operate all of the Public Works machinery, equipment, and hand and power tools. Must be able to use body members to work, move or carry objects or materials. This position requires: stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motion. Must be able to exert up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of heavy work.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent, or a combination of education, experience and skills that meet the prerequisites of the position.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated. CDL (Commercial Drivers License preferred)